When traveling in the Netherlands, you need to try our famous Dutch apple pie. The sweet crust and chunks of apple make this traditional dish worth your while! Now, bake this delicious Dutch apple pie in your own kitchen with this recipe; and bring a bit of the Netherlands home.
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Bake Time: 1 Hour
- Servings: 12
Table of contents
Save This To Pinterest To Read It Later! ↡
This Dutch apple pie recipe is divided into two parts: the crust and the filling. Therefore, I have divided the ingredients into two lists.
Ingredients for the crust:
- 250 grams flour
- 150 grams room-temperature unsalted butter
- 100 grams sugar
- 2 bags of vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 24-26 cm baking tin
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 kg golden rennet apples
- 6 tbsp raisins
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 hand walnuts
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp fine bread-crumbs
- 4 tbsp apricot jam (glaze)
Also Read ➳ Dutch Food: 15X Dishes You Need To Try
Making The Crust Of Dutch Apple Pie
Let’s start with the crust. That sweet, crunchy layer of dough that holds the entire dutch apple pie together. If you have a mixer with dough hooks, feel free to use it. However, it is not necessary as your hands do the job just as well😉.
1. Put the flour, butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, and egg together in one big mixing bowl.
➳ Tip: To make sure your dough becomes smooth, sieve the powdery ingredients into the bowl (flour, sugar & vanilla sugar).
➳ Tip: If your butter is not at room temperature, put it for 30 seconds in the microwave. Take it out when it is soft, and you are ready to go.
2. Mix all ingredients. Either use a mixer with dough hooks, a fork, or your hands.
3. When the dough becomes thicker, kneed the dough until smooth.
4. Get your baking tin and place a layer of baking paper on the bottom of the tin. Then take the ring and place it onto the bottom part. This makes it easy to move this delicious dutch apple pie onto a pie platter later.
5. Take the rest of the butter stick and butter the sides of the baking tin. Due to the baking paper, you can skip the bottom.
6. Take 3/4 of the dough and cover the inside of the baking tin. Immediately, you can see what the crust of this Dutch apple pie will look like. Set aside the other 1/4 of the dough for the decorations.
7. Lastly, spread 4 tbsp of fine bread-crumbs over the bottom of the crust. This soaks up the liquid from the apples and helps to firm your Dutch apple pie.
You’ll Also Like ➳ Dutch People: 10X Of Their Weirdest Habits (+ Bonus)
Prepping The Filling Of The Dutch Apple Pie
Meanwhile, the crust is ready; it is time to move on to the filling. Firstly, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
1. Peel the golden rennet apples and remove the core.
2. Chop the apples in chunks. Roughly cut them in blocks of 1 cm width and height. I love Dutch Apple Pies with slightly bigger chunks, but this is up to you.
3. Chops the walnuts into small pieces.
4. Put the apple pieces in a large bowl and add the raisins, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon.
5. Take a spoon and mix until the apples have an even coating of cinnamon and sugar.
Bring The Crust And Filling Together
Almost ready!! Subsequently, let’s put the filling into the baking tin and pop it into the oven.
1. Put the apples into the baking tin and spread evenly.
2. Push the apples down with your hands. Don’t be afraid to push too hard. The more you press the apples together, the better the shape will hold when cutting the Dutch apple pie.
3. Make the rest of the dough into thin strips and lay it on top of the pie. Make a rhombus pattern for a traditional look. Another method is to use cookie cutters and make dough decorations in heart shapes, stars, etc.
4. Place this delicious Dutch apple pie in the pre-heated oven and set a timer for 1 hour. Bake until golden brown.
➳ Tip: Meanwhile baking, make sure the raisins don’t burn. If they do, put a layer of aluminum foil over the pie and continue baking.
Take It Out Of The Oven And Enjoy!
1. Take the pie out of the oven and put on a baking tray.
2. Let it cool off in the tin until lukewarm.
3. Cut the crust loose of the tin with a sharp knife and let the apple pie cool off completely.
4. Put the apricot jam into the microwave until liquid and brush over the pie’s top. This gives the cake a nice glaze.
AND DONE! Your pie is ready to eat. Cut off a piece and cover it with whipped cream. 🥰 Enjoy!
I hope you likes this Dutch apple pie recipe ❤️. Love Iris.
Was This Blog Useful? Save This To Pinterest So I Can Keep Writing Free Travel Blogs For You!